Create a Custom Skincare Routine
Updated: Aug 3
Essential to everyone's skincare routine are the following five components:
I order these components this way:
Cleanse, retinoid, moisturizer OR cleanse, moisturizer, retinoid.
Cleanse (or don't, this depends on preferences), vitamin C, moisturizer, sunscreen.
This simple routine can help with skin tone, collagen production, pigmentation, fine lines and texture. If you feel that you have a skin condition that warrants additional help I have created custom routines for various concerns that keep simplicity in mind by adding just one or two appropriate ingredients for each skin concern.
From here we may add additional components (as many people have multiple skin concerns) but keeping it relatively simple can be incredibly effective!
Check below for a helpful list of my current recommendations.
*Penn Smith Skincare is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program. Many links are affiliate links, meaning I am compensated when you shop through these at no extra fee to you.
Here are the CORE category recommendations:
1. Vanicream https://amzn.to/3uB7EnC (good all round)
2. Aveeno cleanser (rosacea/dry/sensitive) https://amzn.to/2Sx233v
3. Paula's Choice (oily skin/acne) https://amzn.to/3uPu9nW
4. Le Mieux brightening cleanser (pigment) https://amzn.to/3o77ySo
1. CeraVe Retinol Serum https://amzn.to/33nJqRU
2. OLAY Regenerist MAX Retinol (awesome) https://amzn.to/3uIwtOk
3. La roche Posay Adapalene (acne skin) https://amzn.to/3ew18sU
Vitamin C options
1. Dermalure L-ascorbic acid (amazing!!) https://amzn.to/3uzAQv6
(best all round)
2. Mad Hippie (sodium ascorbyl phosphate for acne skin) https://amzn.to/3b8nGh2
3. Naturium THD vitamin C OIL (dry skin) https://amzn.to/3tvu34q
4. Bioelements Vitamin C (10% SAP) https://amzn.to/2QVI7Hl
1. Belei Bio-complex https://amzn.to/3hbNlt3
(so good, affordable normal/dry)
2. Dermaquest essential Moisturizer (buttery blue light blocking moisturizer) https://amzn.to/2Q33Bl2
3. La Roche Posay Toleriane Moisturizer with Niacinamide (great all round)https://amzn.to/2SsHnJW
1. Neova Silc Sheer SPF 40 https://amzn.to/3hcoGok
2. Dermaquest Sheer Zinc https://amzn.to/3hcDbIw
(comes in 3 colors-this is the lightest (it's a light/medium). Sunkissed is medium and Tan is sheer tan/deep.
3. CeraVe Tinted SPF 30 (this is an NC 20-23) https://amzn.to/3nXSG8C
ADD ON RECOMMENDATIONS (choose only what applies to YOU):
Touch Azelaic Acid https://amzn.to/2Q4GhDw
Paula's Choice Azelaic Acid https://amzn.to/3nZummN
NIACINAMIDE:Paula's Choice 10% (can mix this with your moisturizer also!) https://amzn.to/3nYilOB
Cos De Baha Toner https://amzn.to/33oRWAb
Paula's Choice toner https://amzn.to/3w4IWwr
Dermaquest serum (glycolic, salicylic, azelaic and lactic all in one. Could also work for oily/textured skin) https://shop-links.co/1748003710104130904
Lumion spray https://amzn.to/33rdCeN
Lumion Serum https://amzn.to/3uA5Uv0
Skinsmart Cleanser spray https://amzn.to/3C9kRZa
Queen 7-1 Serum (still a fave of mine) https://amzn.to/3f1g94V
Paula's Choice clinical discoloration repair serum with Tranexemic Acid
Naturium Tranexamic acid 5% serum https://amzn.to/3eqJQ01
ALPHA HYDROXY ACID
Glycolic acid leave on Paula's Choice https://amzn.to/3o0lH3N
Youth To the People Glycolic and Lactic (I have loved this forever)https://amzn.to/33uAASp
Isntree HA serum https://amzn.to/3uzL0Mg
Isntree TW Real Bifida serum (amazing long time favorite for my dry skin) https://amzn.to/3o2E6gm
Check back because I will be adding additional routines!
Please join my private Facebook Group for lots of discussion, including threads about daily routines!